Last Friday I was in the mood for some serious tv crack, so i went to wal-mart and got a season of the show 24 on dvd. All they had was season one, which I’d already seen, and season three, so i got season three.
all 24 hours it.
anyone who’s ever seen this program knows it’s the equivalent of meth on your television set. it even infiltrates your body and makes your heart pound to the beat of the ever ticking clock while jack bauer tries to save the day.
tick. tick. tick.
it’s pretty intense.
like any drug addiction though, i’ve come away with some life lessons 13 hits in:
1. Doing the right thing is always best. even (especially!) when the wrong choice seems like a win-win without consequences. PEOPLE! there are ALWAYS consequences. On the show this becomes apparent when characters take a bribe, get in cahoots with the enemy, or consider using a drug. the ones who make the wrong choice always die, while the ones who make the right choice, well, they go on to SAVE THE WORLD!
2. Nothing is what it seems. The good guy is the bad guy is the good guy again. and then, when you LEAST expect it, the bad guy again. true story.
3. Bangs were really popular in 2003 (when this season aired). I love bangs.
4. A lot can change in a day. People in your life could have random children, a virus threat could be part of a larger plan and anyone can die at any moment.
Which brings me to:
5. The main character can’t die. ever. especially on a dvd version of the show. HELLO, the secret’s out. he must live through the day, because there’s been like eight more seasons. unless there’s some sort of time travel im unaware of.
I’d write more, but I HAVE to find out what happens to Nina now. if you don’t hear from me in 11 hours, feel free to check in, because there’s a good chance i’m drooling in front of the tv set.