because I’m weird I usually spend holidays comparing my current life to whatever was going on a year ago.
Last year: I took my kid-sister (dressed as Hannah Montana) trick-or-treating. I had a convenient week off because I was smack in the middle of my South Dakota job and my Wisconsin job. (no, it hasn’t even been a year since i started that job in Wisconsin. yes, I’m already at a new job. yes, I hope to stay here a year) (I like to switch jobs over holidays, see fourth of july, 2008.)
This year: I took my roommate’s dog for a walk around my suburban neighborhood so I could see how all the rich (at least by my standards) people decorate for halloween. (see, large, inflatable pumpkins). then i went to work the night shift at the paper. the possibility of a late-night halloween party does loom but I’m not even cool enough to have a costume this year. (although i guess I could go as a reporter. with a pen.)
an aside: i still sing the halloween song every time i spell the holiday. what? you don’t know that song? well it goes “H. A. double L. O. double-u. double-E. N, spells HALLOWEEN!” (you should probably sing it at parties to make friends).
I redesigned my blog. did you even notice? gawd. it’s like you don’t even love me. (kidding. i know you noticed Aunt Sandy).
anywho, i’m pretty happy with it. (I heart pink. I heart flowers. and I heart italics. what’s not to love?) I actually splurged and paid $15 for the art you see on the top. seeing as how I’m a writer and all I like to be on the up and up when it comes to copyright laws.
the plan is to make my much younger (by like 3 years) co-worker sit down with me and navigate the wonderful world of domain names so I can get my very own url site. (I even have the meeting penciled in for Friday, Nov. 7). However, I’m having trouble coming up with a unique domain name so suggestions are more than welcome. the only stipulations I have are that I want it to be short and easy to spell.
• heck YA, i’m excited that gas prices are going down. We’re on our way back to $1 a gallon baby! secret plan includes stock piling it in my roommate’s garage by disguising it in cans of paint. Will resale when prices sky rocket after election. ergo, pay off student loans.
• I’m addicted to checking my bank account online every day. do you think the people at Harris keep track of how many times I do this? the sad thing is, because of their weird system, I’m not even sure what my “available balance” actually means. or how many of my transactions have actually posted.
• Guess what? I have good news. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to geico. (where have I heard that before? hmm.) seriously. I did. Progressive wanted to charge me about $230 per month. (yes. you just read “month.”) while geico will charge me a measly (ish) $180 per month. yay. (ish).
• in case you were wondering where all the office rubber bands have gone, I have indeed made a rubber band ball. from scratch. the secret is to start by wrapping a rubber band around another one and building from there:
• Can you people believe that the election is in SIX DAYS!! Holy moley!!!! seriously are you going to vote? who do you think will win? who? who? WHO???!!
• I wish my blackberry didn’t need to alert me every time i have an outgoing e-mail from gmail. seriously mr. blackberry, i sent it. i KNOW it’s out there.